Immigrating to Canada is a dream for many people around the world. With its high quality of life, strong economy, and cultural diversity, Canada offers great opportunities for those looking to build a better future. For Pakistani citizens looking to temporarily live, work, or study in Canada, acquiring a temporary resident visa is the first step. This article provides a comprehensive guide on how to get a temporary resident visa in Canada from Pakistan.
Must Read: Canada work permit visa from Pakistan
Main Types of TRVs for Pakistani Citizens
A temporary resident visa (TRV) allows people to legally enter and stay in Canada as a tourist, students, or temporary foreign workers. Some of the main types of TRVs available to Pakistani citizens include:
- Visitor Visa: For tourism, visiting family/friends
- Study Permit: For pursuing education at a Canadian institute
- Work Permit: For temporary work under the Worker Transfer or International Experience Canada programs
A visitor visa, also referred to as a tourist visa, is ideal for Pakistani citizens looking to enter Canada for a short-term stay for purposes like:
- Visiting friends or family members
- Attending business meetings or conferences
- Getting medical treatment
Benefits of Visitor Visa:
- Allows you to stay in Canada as a visitor for up to 6 months at a time
- Does not allow you to work or study in Canada
- Can be valid for single entry or multiple entries for several years
Eligibility Criteria required for Visitor Visa
To get a Canadian visitor visa from Pakistan, you must prove:
- You have ties to Pakistan that will compel you to return after your visit such as a job, home, or family
- You have sufficient funds to cover expenses in Canada
- You have a clear purpose and itinerary for visiting Canada
- You do not intend to work or permanently migrate during your stay
- With a visitor visa, you can enjoy Canada’s attractions as a tourist, reconnect with loved ones, or expand your business network temporarily.
Canada Study Permit
For Pakistani students who want to pursue higher education at a designated Canadian academic institute, a Canadian study permit is required.
Canada Study Permit Allows You to
- Enroll full-time at a designated school, college, university, technical institute, language school, secondary school
- Legally live in Canada throughout your academic program
- Work part-time on campus (max. 20 hours weekly)
- Get a post-graduation work permit after completing the program
Key application requirements of Study Permit
- Letter of acceptance from your chosen Canadian school
- Proof you can support your education and living costs
- Clear academic goals, study plan, and intent to return home after study
- Passport, photographs, proof of funds, biometrics, medical clearance
With a study permit, you can gain international exposure and world-class education in Canada temporarily as an international student.
Canada Work Permit
For Pakistani professionals and workers looking for temporary employment in Canada, a work permit is required.
Enables You to
- Work for a specified Canadian employer
- Legally live and work anywhere in Canada under permit validity
- Bring immediate family members as dependents
Common programs include in Canada Work Permit
- International Experience Canada for Young Professionals
- Temporary Foreign Worker Program for workers with a confirmed Canadian job offer
- Intra-Company Transferee Program for multinational transfers
Key criteria for Canada Work Permit:
- Confirmed job offer from a Canadian employer
- Employer-specific work permit application
- Educational credentials and work experience required for the position
- Valid passport, medical checks, police clearance certificate
- With a temporary work permit, you can gain valuable professional experience, earn Canadian dollars, and advance your career.
Canada Temporary Resident Visa Process from Pakistan: Step-By-Step Guide
Certainly, here are the simple and easy-to-follow steps to get a temporary Resident visa:
Step 1: Gathering and Preparing Application Documents
A strong application with all required paperwork is key to getting your TRV approved quickly.
Key Documents Needed:
- Valid passport
- Proof of financial support
- Letter of acceptance from school
- Job offer letter
- Written explanation outlining the purpose of the visit
- Completed application forms
- Photos meeting visa photo specifications
- Travel history documents
- Accommodation details
- Medical exam from an approved physician
- Police certificates if required
- Paid processing fees
- Biometrics (fingerprints and photo)
Use a checklist and take photocopies. Store documents safely.
Step 2: Submitting Your Online Visa Application
Applications must be submitted online through the IRCC website by following the steps:
- Create an IRCC account and sign-in.
- Fill relevant online application form for TRV type needed.
- Provide personal details, travel history, visit purpose, etc.
- Pay visa fees online through credit card.
- Upload all required documents in proper formats.
- Review information thoroughly before final submission.
- Note down application number for tracking status.
Step 3: Scheduling Your Biometrics Appointment
- You’ll need to provide fingerprints and photograph at a Visa Application Centre.
- Book an appointment at the nearest centre after getting IRCC letter.
- Create an account on VFS Global website and fill web-form.
- Select convenient date and time. Book early as slots fill up fast.
- Attend on given date with application number. Takes 15-20 mins.
Step 4: Preparing for Your Visa Interview
The visa interview is your chance to convince the visa officer you meet eligibility criteria.
Tips for Interview Success:
- Study your application and documents thoroughly
- Have clear explanations ready for your purpose of visit, ties to Pakistan, etc.
- Proofread justification letter and remember facts
- Dress professionally and avoid informal language
- Provide clear and concise answers to questions
- Be truthful and consistent
- Inform officers immediately of any changes after applying
- Stay calm and composed
Step 5: Completing Your Medical Examinations
You may need to undergo an immigration medical exam by an approved panel physician.
Immigration Medical Exam Process:
- Complete exam if required by IRCC based on your situation.
- Book appointment with designated panel physician
- They will conduct tests and assess if you meet health standards.
- Complete any additional follow-up tests promptly if required.
- Physician will upload results directly to IRCC. You’ll also get copies.
- Ensure all forms and tests are completed. Incomplete medicals can negatively impact application.
Step 6: Waiting for Application Processing and Approval
Once you’ve completed all requirements, your application enters the processing and approval phase.
What to Expect During Processing:
- Aim is to process applications within 60 days but time varies.
- Check online account regularly for application status updates.
- Do not make travel plans until you have the visa.
- Respond quickly if IRCC needs more documents or information.
- For complex cases, follow-up interviews or documents may be requested.
- If visa is denied, you’ll get a rejection letter explaining reasons.
- If approved, you’ll be informed to submit passport for visa stamping.
Step 7: Picking Up Your Visa after Approval
Your stamped passport will be returned by:
- IRCC will mail your passport to provided address.
- Keep tracking the courier receipt number.
- Verify all details on receipt.
- For some locations, collect passport in-person from Application Centre.
- Visit on allotted date and time slot.
- Carry passport collection letter, ID, and approval letter copy.
- Check all passport pages before leaving centre.
- Make copies of approval letter and visa for your records.
Hire an Immigration Consultant if needed:
Consider hiring an immigration lawyer or consultant for expert guidance. Because it’s benefits you:
- Assess eligibility for suitable TRV type
- Ensure error-free application and documents
- Advise which documents will strengthen application
- Prepare you thoroughly for visa interview
- Communicate and follow up with IRCC on your behalf
- Appeal refusal decisions more effectively
- Avoid common mistakes leading to rejection
- Navigate policy changes and complex legal issues
What is the validity period for a temporary resident visa in Canada?
The validity period of a TRV depends on your type of permit you apply for. Most visitor visas for Pakistani citizens allow you to stay in Canada for up to 6 months at a time. Study permits are valid for the entire duration of your academic program. Work permits are employer-specific and location-specific, usually valid for up to 3 years initially.
What is the current processing time for temporary resident visa applications?
TRV applications from Pakistan are currently taking 60-90 days on average for processing and approval. The exact time can vary though depending on application volumes. Applicants are advised not to make any travel plans until they have the approved visa in hand.
The opportunity to live, work, or study in Canada, even if temporarily, is a dream come true for many Pakistani citizens. With its natural beauty, friendly people, high standards of living, and abundant opportunities, Canada offers an unparalleled experience. Acquiring a temporary resident visa is the key that unlocks the doors to Canada if you meet eligibility criteria. The application process may seem daunting, but take it one step at a time.
Stay organized, diligent, and focused. Consult experts if you need guidance. With a strong application and smart preparation, your odds of success are very high. Before you know it, you could be embarking on that long-awaited flight to Canada!
Remember, your Canadian dreams are achievable if you have the right attitude. Stay motivated throughout the visa process. Success comes to those who persevere. Have faith in your abilities.
The experiences you will gain in Canada, whether studying, working, or living temporarily as a visitor, are truly invaluable. This opportunity has the potential to transform your life for the better.
What kind of immigration medical examinations do I need to complete for getting a TRV from Pakistan?
The panel physician will assess if you meet public health and safety standards. Tests can include Physical exam, Chest X-ray, Urine and blood tests, Vaccinations, Mental health assessment. Any additional tests will depend on your health and medical history.
Is it possible to apply for a Canadian temporary resident visa completely online while residing in Pakistan?
Yes, the entire visa application process including forms, documentation, payments can be completed online from Pakistan through the IRCC website. Only biometrics and interview require visiting the Visa Application Centre.